1. These Terms and Conditions, Course Fees list, Course Application Form and Student handbook (copy available from the ESFW office on request or see Student Info page on this website) constitute the terms of the legally binding contract (“the Contract”) between you, the student, any invoice addressee set out in the Course Application form and Edinburgh School of Food & Wine Limited (“ESFW”). Application implies acceptance by each student of the rules and regulations contained within the student handbook (on Student Info page of this website).
2. ESFW is not obliged to accept any applicant onto a course. We will normally write to you within 14 days to confirm acceptance of your application and your booking onto a course.
3. Students may be permitted to join courses after they have started, but no reduction in fees will normally be allowed. Missed classes cannot be made up and students whose attendance is irregular will not be guaranteed a certificate. Certificates will only be issued if the student passes all parts of the course, subject to clause 7 (iv) below.
4. ESFW reserves the right to terminate the training of any particular student at any time if a student commits a serious breach or persistent breaches of the rules and regulations set out in the student handbook. In particular, ESFW will terminate a student’s training if their behaviour is disruptive to the other students or the running of the business. If ESFW is unable to reallocate your place, no refund of fees will be made and if payment is being made by instalments, the balance will become immediately payable.
5. ESFW may occasionally need to make alterations to course dates and / or content, this will be done in full consultation with students.
6. Enrolment on certain courses is subject to the payment of a booking fee (which is non-refundable) as set out in ESFW’s Course Fees list.
7. Following acceptance by ESFW of your application, you and the invoice addressee will be contractually bound to pay the full amount of the fees as follows:
i. Booking fees are payable with the initial application for enrolment and are only refunded in the event of ESFW being unable to accept the student. The booking fee may, however, at the discretion of ESFW, be transferred to another ESFW course beginning within 12 months of the cancellation of the original booking.
ii. The balance of fees for all courses requiring a booking fee is payable by the applicant in full, not later than four weeks before the start of the course (unless otherwise stated) or ESFW will not be able to guarantee a reservation. In addition to fees, extras (as set out in ESFW’s Course Fees list) must be paid.
iii. Fees for all courses not requiring a booking fee, as set out in ESFW’s Course Fees list, are due in full at the time of booking.
iv. No refund will be made if you subsequently fail to attend all or any part of the course (and ESFW is unable to reallocate your place) or if you fail any exam. If a student wishes, for religious or other reasons (such as a disability), that they do not wish to participate in part of their course they must discuss this with ESFW staff and gain specific permission to be exempt from this part of the course.
v. If ESFW has agreed that fees may be paid by instalments, each instalment must be paid by the instalment date set out by ESFW. Any booking fee paid will be deducted from the final instalment. The obligation to pay each of the instalments will continue notwithstanding that you subsequently fail any exam or fail to attend all or any part of the course. Failure to pay any instalment by the due date or attend the course will result in the balance of the fees becoming immediately payable. If fees are not paid by the due date, ESFW will be entitled to reallocate your place (without prejudice to the obligation to pay the fees).
vi. You may only terminate the Contract if you give ESFW written notice of cancellation of your booking on a course not less than 4 weeks before the start of the course (being the first day of the first term if the course consists of more than one term). Provided that you have given notice of termination prior to the deadline, ESFW will refund any fees paid but will be entitled to retain any booking fee. You will not be entitled to terminate the Contract in any other circumstances.
vii. ESFW will be entitled to cancel any course at any time subject to the repayment of any booking fee or other payment received in respect of the course or the part of the course which has been cancelled.
viii. All fees must be paid in pounds sterling.
8. ESFW may increase fees at any time. If a booking has been made, a written notice of increase will be sent; and the prospective student will be entitled to withdraw from the course and have any booking fee or advance payment refunded, provided a written notice is received by ESFW no later than 4 weeks from date of notification of the increase.
9. No failure or delay by ESFW in enforcing any of its rights under the Contract shall be deemed to be a waiver of such right.
10. Students must not bring any items of special value onto ESFW’s premises. ESFW will not accept responsibility for the loss of or damage to any personal possessions. ESFW will not be liable for any loss suffered by a student which is indirect, special or consequential. ESFW will not be liable for any loss suffered by you resulting from any event which is beyond the reasonable control of ESFW. A limit of the fees paid will be made for any compensation claims.
11. Smoking is not permitted within ESFW buildings.
12. Lunches are included within the course. ESFW regrets that no food may be taken from the building.
13. ESFW Gift Vouchers are valid for a period of 1 year from the date of purchase. They may be exchanged as whole or part payment towards any course run by ESFW. We regret that under no circumstances can a refund be made.
14. This Contract (comprising these Terms and Conditions, Course Fees list, Course Application Form and Student handbook) represent the entire Agreement between ESFW you, the student and any invoice addressee set out in the Course Application form and supersede all other agreements and representations whether oral or in writing. If any clause in this Contract is found to be illegal or unenforceable, that clause will be deemed deleted from the Contract and the remaining terms will remain in force.
15. This Contract is governed by Scots law and any disputes will be dealt with through the Scottish judicial system.